Emotional Intelligence (EI) is a key factor in effective leadership. We use our emotions at work to make good decisions, lead people effectively, solve problems, adapt to change, work as a team and in taking action. Research is clear that EI contributes to a leaders’ success.
Being intelligent about how you use your own and others’ emotions can differentiate you from the pack.
The good news is that the skills of Emotional Intelligence can be learnt.
We provide Genos EI Assessments that allows you to see where you are right now and how you can develop and customise coaching programs either one on one or in a group to enhance these critical leadership skills.
What is Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional Intelligence represents a set of skills relating to the way we perceive, understand, reason with and manage our own and others’ emotions effectively.
Based on the Genos Emotional Intelligence (EI) model, it involves seven skills that relate to how often a person demonstrates emotionally intelligent behaviours at work. The seven skills are:
- Emotional self-awareness
- Emotional expression
- Emotional awareness of others
- Emotional reasoning
- Emotional self-management
- Emotional management of others, and
- Emotional self-control.
People like to feel valued, recognised and that they have contributed – the emotional intelligent leader knows how to tune into this and does something about it.
What are the benefits of understanding Emotional Intelligence?
Improve Your Impact on Others by:
- Enhancing your influencing skills, creating greater buy in on decisions
- Engage and connect with people by reading others better
- Understanding why people feel a certain way
- Developing strong adaptability when working with different people
- Express strong emotions appropriately to the right people at the right time
Building Your EI Muscle by:
- Being in tune with your own moods and feelings and how it impacts those around you
- Create understanding about yourself amongst colleagues which increases trust
- Display empathy when needed
- Help create and foster positive environments that motivates and supports others
- Take more initiative
- Be more optimistic – can move on from stressful or difficult situations
- Develop good coping skills and be able to face issues effectively
Emotional Intelligence helps leaders foster a workplace environment conducive to high performance. There is higher productivity, retention, and profitability.
Teams are more effective when they can understand how emotional information affect the team and know how to deal with the emotions appropriately.
What sort of training is available?
One on One Coaching Program
We provide a comprehensive coaching program designed to enhance Emotionally Intelligent behaviour. The program is a customised modular program which includes a time 1 and time 2 multi rater assessments, comprehensive materials and one on one coaching.
This coaching program helps people think differently in the workplace and find new ways of doing things. It is a structured process which is evidence based and grounded in research designed to:
- Increase an individual’s sense of responsibility and ownership for their emotional “performance”
- Unlock a person’s natural ability
- Increase their awareness of the factors which determine workplace performance
- Assist the individual to identify and remove internal barriers to achievement and
- Enable the person to self-coach
Each module addresses a particular behaviour relating to Emotional Intelligence and is based on the seven skills of the Genos model of EI
A fully facilitated and customised program allows participants to:
- Establish the group’s objectives around EI enhancement
- Learn the 7 skills of Emotional Intelligence
- Gather insight through Group EI Assessment Reports and or Individual Reports
- Apply the information to the workplace for the group
- Provide tools and techniques to demonstrate more effective EI
- Provide Skills practice
- Develop a Personal Action Plan for the group and individually
To explore how you can build your Emotional Intelligence muscles